Thursday, September 23, 2010

Cooking my Feelings

I've had a remarkably frustrating week.

I think it's telling that all I was looking forward to on my (long anticipated) day off was nesting, visiting the butcher and the market and spending some time in the kitchen cooking.

In previous iterations of what I thought I wanted to be when I grew up, I never unwound from stressful days by philosophizing or thinking deep thoughts. What I do now, and plan to continue to do is, evidently, what I crave doing, and what makes me happiest. I feel pretty lucky to have hit on that thing.

I've got a fabulous oldies station blaring, dulce de leche on the go in the oven, heirloom beets and potatoes blanching on the stove, lamb shanks getting ready for a braise and duck breasts marinating. These things will come together in two elaborate dinners (tonight and tomorrow) that will leave me relaxed, refreshed and ready to face the world again. Until then, I may not leave the kitchen.

1 comment:

  1. What was the cause of the frustration?

    I'll have the duck and leave the lamb for others.

    ReplyDelete